Friday, February 28, 2014

RIP Bishop Boland

Bishop Raymond Boland, a great friend to Kansas City's Irish community including Irish Fest passed away in Cork yesterday. Fighting cancer, he had returned home to Ireland to enter hospice care. He was 82.

Bishop Boland made our annual Mass at Irish Fest possible and honored us by presiding over the service many times. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

He himself wrote these words after an earlier bout with cancer in 2001:

 “...I would hope that my passing will not bring sorrow or pain to others because I will be sharing the happiness promised by the Lord of compassion and love. It is my prayer and I only ask that, on my behalf, it be yours too, at least for a little while, that the God of mercy will be waiting to welcome me home.”

Slán agus beannacht leat. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

No comments: